Our Family

My photo
Brian is from Idaho Falls, ID, and I am from Orem, UT. We met many years ago at Utah State University. We have 3 daughters: Maya who's 9,Kaitlyn who's 7, and Taygen who's 1. We had twin boys Dylan and Gavin. We lost our son Dylan, but Gavin is 4.

Friday, December 4, 2009

Teaching Common Sense


I guess I forget what it's like to be a kid. You try to set an example for your kids, teach them right from wrong, and then let them experience life. Somewhere in there we forget to pass on common sense. There are certain things you just can't plan for because it's not even possible for you to imagine all the possible retarded things your children will come up with. Maya was playing in the basement with a friend. There was lots of giggling going on, but if you know Maya, that pretty normal. The next thing I hear is her screaming and coming up the stairs crying. She is holding her ribs and crying that she can't breathe. I asked her what happened and she said she fell on her chest on the chair. She was ok so I told her to not fool around and be careful. Later on Kaitlyn asked her what she was doing downstairs when she got hurt. Maya proceeded to tell her the following story.
"This if very serious Kaitlyn." "We tied the ends of my jump rope to the princess chairs." "Then I got up on the chair to walk across the rope."
The look on my face must have been classic. "YOU DID WHAT?!" I couldn't believe what she was saying. Common sense would tell you that if your arm can bend the rope surely it would not hold up the weight of your body! So naturally everything came tumbling down, thus the injury. SERIOUSLY?! How do you teach your kids that this kind of stuff is not smart? She thought it was a completely awesome and an original idea. At this point, if she makes it to adulthood, it will be a shock to me!

1 comment:

Adam 'n' Sara said...

I guess if they experience it they learn it; that's the only way I can think of that we all made it to adulthood!